Managing COVID-19 while playing tennis
Please review these ideas about how to manage the risks of COVID-19 while playing tennis. The Tennis Center is open for single play only, and no lessons are available at this time.
Reservations are being accepted to reserve court time at (561) 691-3425.
Protect against infections
- Wash your hands, clean and wipe down your equipment, before going to the court.
- Do not share any equipment with anyone outside your household.
- Use new balls and a new grip, if possible.
- Consider taking extra precautions such as wearing gloves.
- If you need to sneeze or cough into your upper sleeve.
- Arrive as close as possible to when you need to be there.
- Avoid touching court gates, fences, benches, etc. if you can.
- Stay at least six feet apart from other players. Do not make physical contact with anyone outside your household.
When playing at North Palm Beach
- Only play singles until Palm Beach County approves additional players on each court.
- Water fountains are not operational. BRING YOUR OWN DRINKS TO STAY HYDRATED.
- ICE IS NOT AVAILABLE.
- Avoid touching your face after handling a ball, racquet or other equipment.
- Avoid sharing food, drinks or towels.
- Use your racquet/foot to pick up balls and hit them to your opponent. Avoid using your hands to pick up the balls.
- Stay on your side of court. Avoid changing ends of the court.
- Remain apart from other players when taking a break.
- If a ball from another court comes to you, send it back with a kick or with your racquet.
Use six balls for singles
It’s possible that a tennis ball can transmit the COVID-19 virus, as virtually any hard surface can transmit the disease. So here is an extra precaution you can take to keep safe when playing tennis:
- Open two (singles) cans of tennis balls that do not share the same number on the ball.
- Each player will have one set of balls to be used when they are serving.
- Proceed with play, making sure to pick up your set of numbered balls only. Should a ball with the other number wind up on your side of the court, do not touch the ball with your hands. Use your racquet head or feet to advance the ball to the other side of the court.
- Leave the court as soon as reasonably possible.
- Wash your hands thoroughly or use a hand sanitizer after coming off the court.
- Showers are not available..
- No extra-curricular or social activity should take place. No congregation after playing.
- All players should leave the facility immediately after play.